Journey

Happiness is a Journey, not a destination.


Namaste.

Friday, October 1, 2010

and I Owe it all to Facebook....

I've resisted Facebook. I had my reasons, from the ever changing privacy issues, to worries about the personal aspect of it. As time has gone on, however, I was lured by the prospect of keeping in better touch with my cousins, who I'm close to but don't get to see often enough. Some of my reasons for resisting have disappeared over time, and I decided to just be very careful about my privacy settings. I opened my account. I liked it immediately (I knew I would). The best part, however, was that I was able to reconnect with one of my very best friends, who I had lost touch with 6 year ago.

It all started 18 years ago. Cole and I met in Psychology class. We became friends. We started dating in November. By December, I knew he was my soul mate(we were 17...crazy). He worked with a girl named Marci, who he had considered dating, but she was too old for him, and she became the sister he never had. In December, we went on a double date to Ogden's Christmas Village with Marci and the guy she was dating, Anthony. Anthony worked with Cole and Marci too.

We became an inseparable foursome. Marci and Anthony married in August 1994 (they're a couple of years older than us). We married in August 1995. In December of 1995, Marci delivered her first child, a girl, at 25 weeks. Lexi was 1 lb, 9 oz, and we spent the next 4 months by her bedside at the hospital, supporting our best friends. Through the next years, we did so much together...Marci was the first person we told when we were pregnant with Kyle. She supported me through the miscarriage that devastated me. We were always there for each other...

Fast Forward. After Alec was born, the dynamic shifted. Cole and I were still soul mates, and it was obvious to us that our best friends' marriage was in trouble. It became uncomfortable to hang out with them. We pulled away a little.

In May, 2004, Marci and Anthony split up. It was hard. Hell for them, with 2 children, one with very special needs. Hell for us, because we lost our best friends. We were with Marci...we were always closer to her than Anthony. We wanted to give her some space, and we all lost touch.

It has been one of our biggest regrets. We've missed our connection tremendously.

So, I joined Facebook. One of the first things I did was search for Marci, under her maiden name. I was ecstatic to find her!

I sent a friend request, and a message. She responded enthusiastically...she had been looking for us too.

She and I met for lunch yesterday to catch up...and spent 2 1/2 hours talking. It was like it always was...plus we got to introduce our new daughters to each other.


So, I owe it all to Facebook.  So glad you're back in our lives!

No comments: