Happiness is a Journey, not a destination.


Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy Birthday to Kyle...Part 2!!!

From December 2008

So, I'm having a little bit of an emotional breakdown as I'm typing, so forgive me. Yesterday night, we had Kyle's family birthday party. It was the first time in a really long time that EVERYONE was able to come (it's a busy time of year). Our family room/kitchen, which is perfect sized for us, and even a small gathering, was PACKED with our wonderful families.
From December 2008

It was really chaotic, but fun. Just in the nick of time, I managed to nag my husband into getting the rest of our living room "stuff" up on the walls...meaning a picture and my shelves. I'm so happy with how they look....
From December 2008

I made mom's homemade cake and frosting, and although I'm not Mindy in the cake decorating department, I think it turned out ok.
From December 2008

It was delicious though, and that's all that matters.

I also finished the Birthday Countdown on Saturday...just in the nick of time. I planned to have it done BEFORE he started putting his pieces on the days, but I didn't have any paper(in the massive amounts of paper that I own) that matched well enough...I found the rainbow paper at Michaels, and was excited about how it looked.
From December 2008

SO, a little flashback of my own...10 years ago tonight, I was grumpy. I had just taken my last final the day before, and the night of the 21st my mom(she was the choir director for her school at that point) had a choir concert. I went to see her kids perform, and after, Mom made sure that my Dad walked me to the car. She didn't want me slipping on the ice. My dad was teasing me, telling me, "you could slip on the ice, it still wouldn't put you into labor. Your mom went way over with you, and we tried everything. Your doctor will be inducing you when he gets home from his vacation." My Due date was January 1st, my Doctor was in Hawaii for Christmas, and was coming home on January 2nd. So, back to the 22nd...I was grumpy. I was craving KFC, and nothing seemed to come together so I could get was back in the days where they were trialing a delivery service, but they couldn't deliver to us that night. Finally, since nothing else sounded good, we drove down and got it. We ate, and went to bed, because Cole had to be up at 4. It was his last day of work before his plant shut down for the Holidays. We'd be great if I went into labor, and he'd get to miss work. Well, he got up and left for work..he kissed me goodbye(he always did in those days...those wonderful days when I was still able to fall back asleep after he kissed me goodbye), and I got up to go to the bathroom. I went back to bed, got comfortable, and was just starting to fall asleep again...when I felt a little wetness. I got up to go back to the bathroom, and I felt the GUSH of fluid pouring out of me...I ran for the bathroom, and managed not to get any of the amniotic fluid on our all collected on the bath towel Cole had left on the bathroom floor. (He doesn't leave his towel on the floor very was odd that it just happened to be there.). So, of course, I called him at work. I had never done that before...the company he was working for at the time was really strict about phone calls. So, when he got on the phone, I told him my water had broken. He said (I kid you not)"It's ok, I'm already at work, I'll just finish out the day." "No, I'm not kidding, it really did break, you have to come home!". It took him a few minutes to truly believe me. He came home, and took me to the hospital. We got there around 6, we called our families around 7:30...and My Parents, sister, Grandparents, and MIL came to join us. The female members of my family spent most of my labor trying to convince me that we needed to name our baby Christian, because he was a Christmas baby. But he was always my Kyle. At 12:03pm, after 1 1/2 hours of pushing, and the vacuum popping off his head because he had sooooo much hair...out face up came my First Son. 7lbs, 1 oz, 19 1/2 inches. Lots of black hair. Perfect. Each baby born is special, but there's something about becoming a mother for that first time. Having my husband lay our son in my arms. Knowing that your life has significantly changed, mostly for the better, but also knowing that there will be trials and heartaches that come along with it. Happy Birthday to my precious Firstborn.


John and Sherri said...

Very cute! Sounds like you got everything together for all of your festivities! Good job. Merry Christmas!

Min said...

Ohhh! He's so cute!!! Thanks for sharing... I love baby stories...

TumbleBee said...

I deffinatly agree witha Min!And I really can't wait 'til I can babysit your kids!!!