Journey

Happiness is a Journey, not a destination.


Namaste.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Battle of the Bands 2011!

Every year, Ogden holds a "Battle of the Bands" competition for local high school bands. Cole's brother Heath's business, Music Village, is one of the sponsors. I love stuff like that, so I thought it would be fun to go down to the Union Station, listen to the bands, and support Heath. I also thought it would be fun to take Kyle with us...

We headed down and got there right as the doors opened. In addition to the main event, the Newgate Mall was giving away $10 gift certificates in between every band, Cherry Bomb Salon was doing "Rock your Hair" colored extensions for free, and there were a bunch of vendors of music "stuff" (for lack of a better word, there was a wide variety) for the bands and kids to check out.

From April 2011
(this pic was a little over exposed, but perfect in every other way!)

I got some sparkly strands tied into my hair, and we ate some dinner (Chick-fil-a and Pizza Factory) while we waited for the bands to begin.

From April 2011

Like Father like Son...
From April 2011
From April 2011

My nephew Hunter...
From April 2011

My father in law was talked into getting a rockin' hair extension by my niece and nephew...and they chose pink!

From April 2011
From April 2011
The things a grandpa will do for his grandkids!

These guys had built their guitars out of gas cans...and they were AMAZING!
From April 2011

The Crowd...
From April 2011

My father in law and brother in law working the sound....
From April 2011

These guys, from Layton High, were my favorite...unfortunately, they didn't win :(
From April 2011

These guys were from a special needs high school.
From April 2011

Each band had to sing 2 songs of their own material. These special needs kids...the drummer was deaf, and played by feeling the vibrations. Their first song was tolerable, the second was much less than tolerable...but my heart was warmed because all the high school kids cheered for them just like they did for the other bands. It was remarkable.

It also made me smile to realize that on the surface, high school kids really haven't changed that much. And neither have I. :)

1 comment:

TiGi said...

Weren't you amazed though, how great all the teens acted? For me it was such a testiment to the state of the world. These kids are way better behaved than we were at that age...a million (40+) years ago. I didn't even hear any swear words. No smoking, no drinking, no outrages clothing, that I saw and everyone was so polite with me at the Music Village booth.