Happiness is a Journey, not a destination.


Saturday, September 10, 2011

My First 5K...The Classic Race

I started out walking at the beginning of the summer.  I like to walk, and I wanted to increase my cardiovascular fitness, as well as set a good example for my kids.  I walked for a couple of weeks, but realized that I needed to push myself a little harder.  So, I started running.  Now, I am NOT a born runner.  I have hated running since my mom tried to get me to run with her when I was in junior high and high school.  I knew, however, that I needed more than walking (which I love) to amp up my fitness. 

The first time I tried running I was sick after 50 feet.  However, I kept up a little at a time, doing intervals of walking and running.  I was doing laps at the elementary school's track, and by the end of July I had worked up to alternating running 2 laps, walking 1, then running another 2 laps, and walking home.  I was really pleased with my progress.  I no longer hated running, though I don't think I will ever LOVE it.  I do like the way I feel after I run, and I like the strength and changes I've seen in my body. 

I got an email at work for The Classic Race, which benefits Heart Services at Intermountain Health Care.  Employees were given a discounted registration fee, and a bunch of people I work with were signing up, so I decided to sign up too.  Then I had a minor bout of was I going to run 3 miles?  Sure, I'd been run/walking 3+ miles all summer, but still...all together?  With people I work with (some of whom are amazing runners)?  Then I decided it was a really good goal, and who cared if I had to walk some of it? 

I pushed up my training, and by the end of August I was able to run 3 miles without stopping to walk.  So, I felt ready for the race.  I found someone to cover the second half of my shift on Friday night (thanks Lisa!), and tried to get a good nights sleep...

I woke bright and EARLY Saturday morning.  I had asked for advice on what to eat, so I had a small breakfast and headed to the course.  I got my number pinned on, and met up with my co-workers...

From September 2011

From September 2011

We hadn't found everyone yet when we took this, so we had to take another one a bit later...
From September 2011

And we still missed a few....

The 10K people started off at 8, and then at 8:05, we 5Kers started.  I started out pretty strong, and did the first mile in 9 1/2 minutes...but toward the end of the first mile I started feeling queasy.  I was sick the entire 2nd mile.  I had to speed walk about 1/3 of it, trying not to heave on the side of the road.  Apparently, I took the wrong advice about what to and learn.  By mile 3, however, I was feeling a bit better and ran the rest of the race.  I finished with a time of 34 minutes, 12.4 seconds.  I was really pleased with my time, especially with being sick during mile 2.  I was shooting for 35 minutes, orginally.  My husband brought the kids to cheer for me at the finish line, and it meant so much to me to have them there.  It was a good morning. 

I had a really busy rest of my day.  I stuck around to watch the awards, and then I rushed home, showered and got myself and Talia ready, and headed to Salt Lake for a family bridal shower.  I had to snap a picture of me and my best girl...and my new haircut. 
From September 2011

On our way home, we got caught up in a MASSIVE group of Harley riders....riding in honor of 9/11.  I got this  pic while driving...just forgive all the spots on my rearview mirror.  :)
From September 2011

It doesn't even show the scope, there had to be at least 400 riders going down the freeway.  I was annoyed because it took me a lot longer to get home, but I appreciated the significance and the remembrance. 

All in all, it was a really good day.  And I was wiped out for 3 days afterwards...:)

1 comment:

Maecy said...

Good for you Jen! I've been walking and have just started up with running. It is really hard! Way to motivate :) You pretty much rock.