Journey

Happiness is a Journey, not a destination.


Namaste.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy (very early) Birthday to Me!

As many of you know, I've been getting more and more into photography in the past couple of years.  I haunt the photography blogs, I pore over my friends' photo's, asking about techniques and tips....and I've been researching digital cameras.  I have loved my current camera, the Canon 980IS.  However, when I bought it, I didn't know enough about photography to know what I really wanted/needed out of a digital camera.  As I've been reading and researching the past 6 months or so, I've discovered what I want is full manual control (like a DSLR) in a point and shoot size package.  I know myself, and I want a camera I can throw in my purse when I'm out and about, or stick in my pocket when I'm riding rides at Lagoon.  I don't go anywhere without my camera, and a DSLR is just too big and bulky for me.  So, I've been researching smaller options, and for me, the best option was this camera....

From March 2011
This little camera has full manual control, an f/2.0 capable lens, and some nice program and auto modes (for those moments when I don't have time to compose a shot).

I've been watching the camera on Amazon since February.  It went on sale, I didn't buy it, and then it went back up to full price.  Then it dropped a little...but I waited.  Finally, it went on sale for a pretty good discount again...I talked to Cole, and we decided to not wait to see if it would still be on sale in May, for my birthday.  We bought it.  It came last Wednesday....when I was sick.  I was so excited, but didn't feel good enough to do much with it.  I did play with it a little, however, and got some pretty good pictures considering I don't really know what I'm doing with the manual settings...

This one's a little dark...no flash. 
From March 2011

Better...my princess was being so sweet to "take care of mommy" while I was sick...
From March 2011

From March 2011
Doesn't he look like a miniature lion? I love the way the light coming through the window makes his fur glow!

After I was feeling better, I played a bit more.
From March 2011
I LOVE how I was able to get pictures of the actual snowflakes coming down...something I haven't been able to get to work on my other camera all winter....The white balance is a little off though....

Then, yesterday, we had a family bridal shower.  This is my Grandma's side of the family, and even though we really only see each other when we have someone getting married, we always have such a good time catching up.  I took my new toy to see what it (and I could do)....

All these pictures were taken indoor without a flash.  The natural lighting was pretty good, but my other camera would never have gotten such clear images...I was doing an internal happy dance!
From March 2011
From March 2011
From March 2011
From March 2011
From March 2011
From March 2011
From March 2011


There is a little movement blur, but I still don't really know what I'm doing, so I was thrilled with these results.  I didn't want to use the flash because it's distracting, and my family has a bad habit of running from the camera, so I knew that my best chance of getting pictures was to shoot without the flash.  The last picture in that bunch was my Aunt and her grandaughter.  My cousin and family just moved to Vegas 3 weeks ago, and it's been really hard on my aunt and uncle not to have their grandkids next door.  I really wanted to translate the special relationship between Gram and Quinn on camera...and I think it turned out beautiful.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

It's fun, huh?

Hey, I'm free most mornings. Just let me know when you want to play ?

Mindy said...

Fantastic pictures Jen!! That is what 2.0 aperture will do for you.
I went manual, and I usually shoot in manual. Program is a nice feature though for those tough/need to act fast situations.
Happy early birthday!!