Journey

Happiness is a Journey, not a destination.


Namaste.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Seven

From July 2009

Alec turned 7 today. He entered our life in 2002. He was always restless...from the moment of conception, I truly believe. He tried to be born early several times, finally choosing the WORST possible day of July to be born. He was 3 1/2 weeks early, and his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck twice very tightly. I truly believe that if he had not been born that day, that very scary day (scary because he didn't do well through labor, and we were worried that he would be in the NICU), he may not have lived. He was born, though, weighing 6 lbs 12 oz, at 6:06 pm. So beautiful...perfect. I was blessed with a healthy, perfect baby, and I have never forgotten the enormity of that blessing.

Alec was a restless baby...until he could move on his own, he was never satisfied. Once he could get to all the places he wanted to go, we were all much happier.

From the time we moved into this house, until shortly before Talia was born, he used to come climb into bed with me almost every morning for some snuggle time. I miss that. He's a very sweet boy, with a tender heart.

(I'm getting a little emotional now...) I know he was meant to be our son, to come to our family. Cole and I always envisioned us as a family of 4. We knew that both Kyle and Talia were coming to us before they were ever even conceived. If we'd had both of them first, we may have never tried for Alec. Alec was a gift from Heavenly Father...and a challenge as most children are. I thank the Lord every day that he sent him to our family when he did. I know that without him our family would not be complete.
From July 2009
(putting his last piece on the Birthday Countdown)
I keep thinking of how important the age of 7 is...this is his last year before he reaches 8, the age of accountability. I only have 1 more year to teach him before his decisions "count", so to speak. Talk about pressure. I know, though, as he has for his entire life, he will do what he wants on his own time schedule, no one Else's. His wandering soul will probably end up traveling the globe when he's older. I can only do my best as a parent and hope he remembers the lesson's he's learned.

Today, I sang to him the moment he came upstairs. I baked all morning, took a short nap this afternoon, and then we headed over to my parent's to swim and barbecue. We had a party for Alec, with filled cupcakes (thanks to Mindy)
From July 2009

and chocolate chip cookies (because Alec doesn't like cake). He loved his presents...he mostly got money, but from his parents he got a Nintendo DS, and a new Pokemon game. His face lit up, and he hasn't wanted to put it down since. Score for Mom and Dad. I've been really tired today, but mostly it's been a good day.
From July 2009

From July 2009

Happy Birthday to my "boo"...I love you!

6 comments:

Rachael said...

That is crazy that he was born that early and at that weight. He was one luck baby. Happy Birthday Alec!!!

I don't like cake either... I alternate every year between fruit pizza and Apple crisp.

You look like one HOT MAMA in your swimsuit!

John and Sherri said...

Wow! I can't believe your 2nd is 7! Time flies by. You must have had him right after I started at McKay- I can't remember that. Anyway, Happy Birthday Alec.

Mindy said...

You are welcome!! ;)

Mindy said...

Oh.. and HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEC!!!!!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday, Alec! Sounds like you had a fun day.

Natalie said...

Way to go Alec!! Happy Birthday BUD!!

Hey Jen, Maybe you could bribe him to come snuggle every morning. I think that's what I'm gonna do with my kids. Might have to pay them big bucks but its worth it!

Great post and fun pics!