Journey

Happiness is a Journey, not a destination.


Namaste.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Beginning of the End....

As I sent my sons off to school this morning, it seemed unreal. Usually, I'm ready for school to start, but this morning, as I dragged myself out of bed at 7 am so that I could make a nice breakfast for my kids, it seemed like it was way too soon.

First things, first, however....

Last night was back to school night. I think it's really important to attend, to meet the kids' teachers, find out where their classes are and get all the information about the coming year. However, this year, the 6th grade teachers threw me a curve ball...a 45 minute meeting about 6th grade. I think the idea of a meeting is a good one, but 45 minutes? (and yes, it did take almost that long). I really didn't have time to spend hours at Back to School night, so I was irritated. The "lead" 6th grade teacher got up and was talking about expectations, and I got a little panicked...phrases such as "we expect 6th graders to do 60 minutes of homework EVERY day", said to a mom who doesn't believe in homework for the sake of homework upset me. However, when I spoke to Kyle's teacher, who is new at our school this year, I got a much better feeling. He told me that the 60 minutes is the benchmark, He doesn't believe in giving homework just to give homework, and if I ever felt it was too much, let him know. It REALLY relieved my mind...I really liked Kyle's teacher.
Alec's teacher's (he has two) were also very nice, and I felt pretty good about them. They do a class blog, which, as a blogger, made me excited. I also love that all the teachers like to communicate by email and text message. I'm not the high maintainance mom who needs constant feedback from teachers, but it's great to know that if there's ever a problem, I can get in touch with their teachers quickly.

I had a few things left on our supply lists that I hadn't been able to find when I went to Target a couple of weeks ago, so I went to Walmart after we got home. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER wait again...I'll go in the middle of the night after work if I have to, but I will never go to Walmart (which I dislike anyway) the night before school starts again. It was a MADHOUSE. I found everything but 1 thing (does anyone know where I can find a 3 section black and white composition book?), but Walmart didn't have "Mockingjay"...I don't know if they were out, or just didn't have it, but I looked EVERYWHERE. I really wanted the book, so I went to Target (they were sold out) and Deseret Book (they didn't get their shipment). I finally gave up, I'm headed out to Layton this afternoon, I'll suck it up and pay full price at Barnes and Noble.

I didn't sleep very well again last night.

I made the boys waffles and sausage for breakfast. Summer's been low key breakfasts of toast, Poptarts, and freezer foods (Kyle loves french toast sticks), so the chorus's of "Thanks for making us waffles Mom!" made me feel good and a little guilty. We had a great, easy morning...the boys got ready without problems. Then it was time for our photoshoot...

Alec
From August 2010
From August 2010

Kyle
From August 2010

From August 2010

The now traditional picture by the countdown sign...
From August 2010

Getting their bikes ready...
From August 2010

Talia wanted to join in...
From August 2010
(Alec asked me if he could do a "Peace Out" sign...then they all wanted to. I was so proud!)

Heading out...
From August 2010

This was the first year that my photo shoot went well. They boys were great, and I didn't have to fight to get the pictures I wanted.

So, as the boys rode down the street, to my utter surprise, tears started pouring down my face. I have never cried when I sent the boys to school...not when I dropped them at Kindergarten, never. I guess it just struck me that this is my last year of only elementary school...my kids are getting older and bigger. Kyle is almost the same height as me. I know he will grow a lot this year, both physically and mentally.

Talia looked at me with great concern as I stood there crying.
"Mommy, why you crying?"
"Because the boys are going to school, and pretty soon you'll go to school and leave me too."
"But I will come back pretty soon!"

I guess you can't argue with that, they will be back pretty soon.

Now that it's done, I am enjoying my quiet morning with just my princess home.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

I'm tearing up reading this and thinking about sending Hayden next week.

Enjoy your Mommy & Princess morning(s). :)

Brian and Staci Staples said...

You, like us, can be disappointed that Walmart didn't carry Mockingjay. I asked the lead floor guy up front where the MockingJay books were as was told that they do not control they books and that it was outsourced so they didn't have any. We too had to pay a higher price at Hastings. Oh well. And I am struggling with sending the little one to daycare. My parents are done trying to entertain him 5 days a week so we are doing daycare for 3 and grandparents for 2. Same daycare that Kennedy went to but she seemed more ready to me then Oaklan and I'm struggling with it. Why do we as mom's feel that way?

Mindy said...

I felt the same way our first morning, and I get to "re-live" it again next week for Ash. Such cute pics!