Journey

Happiness is a Journey, not a destination.


Namaste.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Musings on "33"

As I post, it is my 33rd Birthday. 33 has struck me as momentous....after all, having both numbers of your age be identical only happens every 11 years. I was thinking back to the other 2 times this has happened to me...

When I turned 11, it was the end of 5th grade. 5th grade was a rough year for me...it was when the girls in my age group turned particularly vicious (not unlike some of the things I've dealt with recently). I had a birthday party for my 11th Birthday, and invited all the girls my age from "lower Uintah" to come. One girl, who was a "back and forth" friend, said she was coming but then didn't show up. During my party, she and a girl from "upper Uintah", then called my house and said mean things, trying to spoil my party. It didn't work, I was having too much fun with my friends. I remember it as my first liberating moment as a woman...I didn't have to care what anyone else thought as long as I was happy with myself. I forgot this lesson many times during my teenage years(as we all do), but it always comes back to me.

When I turned 22, it was quite a year for me. I had been married for almost 3 years. I was 10 weeks pregnant with my first child. I was graduating from school with my respiratory degree, and only had a couple of classes left to take to get my bachelors in psychology. 22 was the age when I really had to "grow up", so to speak, to take another life into my own hands, and promise (as we all promise our children) to do our very best to raise him right. Motherhood was actually a pretty easy adjustment for me, partly due to the fact that Kyle was an amazingly good baby and toddler. 22 was the age I truly became an adult, although the residual kid in me sneaks out frequently :).

So, now on to 33...I've really been excited for my birthday. I don't exactly know why...I already got my main present (my FlipVideo), and I'm not doing anything particularly life changing....but I'm in a place of peace about myself, and it's been a hard fought peace at times. I'm happy with myself, my true friends, and those I call my "circle" of support. I'm married to the most amazing man, who is my very, very best friend, who loves me unconditionally, and never fails to show our children how much he loves and respects me. This sets an amazing example for our children. My boys still think I'm the most beautiful woman in the world, and tell me they love me every day. I hope I'm setting the same good example for my daughter. Who also loves me more than anything. I am truly a very blessed woman at 33.

Today, I am indulging myself by sending the boys to school, taking Talia to daycare, and going back to bed for some much needed sleep (I worked the last 2 nights). Then, I'm getting my hair done, hoping to sneak over to the mall for a few minutes, and then hopefully my husband is taking me to dinner. Honestly, though, as long as I don't have to cook or clean up, it's wonderful.


Happy Birthday to ME!!!!!

9 comments:

Six-Pack Momma said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEN!!!! You deserve to pamper yourself! Hope it's a good one!!!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday, Jen! I hope you enjoy every second of this great day.

Zariph and Lisa said...

Jen, Happy Birthday!

UtahWarehouse said...

I hope you have an amazing day! Happy Birthday Jen!
Love,
Michele

Regina said...

Mmmm.. shopping!

Rachael said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEN!!! I hope I have half the wisdom you have when I reach that age.

Mindy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEN!!!!!!! LOVE YA :)

Unknown said...

For leaving this post so darn early in the morning, I'd have thought you'd have tons of great b-day wishes.

I agree, 33 is a good place to be.

Hope your day was celebrated your way!

Cara said...

It was fun to see you yesterday. You look SO good! Hope you had a great birthday!