Journey

Happiness is a Journey, not a destination.


Namaste.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

I've been "WHAT?"

So, apparently I've been tagged. So, I'll probably try to do the answering questions part, but maybe someone nice will post me a comment explaining how to find other people to tag. Because I've seriously got no clue.

There's been so much going on the last few days...I've been working, and we now have 23 week twins, 26 week twins, 30 week twins in our unit, along with 3 other micro-preemies (under 2lbs). And, there are 3 more sets of twins, all quite small, that we could get at any time. Needless to say, it's been quite crazy at work. And it doesn't look to get slow again any time soon.

So, how do you deal with it when your child starts to go through the same heartbreak you did at about the same age? Kyle has been acting out in strange ways lately, and the other morning after working, as I was trying to fall asleep, something clicked in my brain. So, as I questioned him after school, it turns out that some of the kids (in his same grade, but not his class), are being slightly bully-ing...saying he can't play with them, but Kyle's friends can play. And he's been the victim of a few nasty pranks lately...glue on his chair...and easy going child that he is, he was dared to stick his tongue on a frozen metal pole, with predictable (and painful) results. We talked to him about how no one can make him not play, he just needs to go join in. We encouraged him to play with the kids in his class who aren't being mean. We helped him to understand that if someone is daring you to do something, it probably means you shouldn't do it. The problem is, he's always been the nice kid, the one who wants to be friends with everyone, and now that he's at the age when kids start being mean and excluding, he's a little bit lost. He doesn't defend himself. I was just the same at his age...soft hearted..I can see this hurting him, and it took me until high school to grow a thick skin. I wish I knew how to help him learn to deal with this so he won't be so unhappy. I don't know what to do. This is the hardest part so far of being a mom.

No comments: